If the benchmark for Organic Search success is ROI, the process to achieve this goal begins with a sound link building strategy. When it comes to link building, it pays to be popular. Link popularity measures the quantity and quality of sites that link to your site. With link building, relevancy directly correlates to rankings. The more relevant incoming links your site receives, the greater the chances of your site ranking high on major search engines.
Incoming links are an extremely valuable part of link popularity and link building. Incoming links bring considerable amounts of traffic to your site. Linking to third party sites increase user visit potential. Their effectiveness is contingent on strategy. It is important to develop direct and indirect incoming link sources to establish search integrity and maximize relevance.
Effective link building is a continuous process. Success does not come overnight. When it does, it’s generated from careful evaluation. Three important factors go into effective direct linking:
- Quantity – Total incoming links directed to a site or webpage
- Relevancy – Degree to which the incoming links relate to your site
- Strength – The amount of authority the site providing the link has
Adhering to these factors will positively impact your organic search position. Proper research is key. You are likely to find sound linking partners within your network. Sites with high ranking relevant search terms, keywords and themes will benefit your link building strategy. Don’t forget your manners. Create personalized direct link requests when seeking incoming link partnerships.
Indirect linking is a more natural approach to incoming link acquisition. It relies on content to draw sites to your site. But as is the case with direct linking, indirect linking best practices should be implemented for link building and Organic Search success.
- Make Your Site Linkworthy – Add educational and instructional content; include case studies, blogs, press releases and white papers
- Submit to Directories – DMOZ, specialized directories. It’s about relevancy.
- Market Your Memberships – Promote industry affiliations, contacts and connections
- Freshen Your Content – Increase your site’s visibility and attractiveness
Formulating a strategic link building plan requires expertise. A novice approach can raise warning flags across search space adversely affecting your rankings and reputation. Remember – link popularity measures quantity and quality. Therefore, it makes sense to avoid link popularity farms, linking to your own site, linking to sites that house hundreds of links on a single page, unknown link solicitations and bulk list submissions. And as always, think before you link.